HelmetConnect Online Manual
The world's first removable Bluetooth headphones for your riding helmet. Make and receive calls while in the saddle to your trainer, your family or other riders in your group.
Listen to music and train Dressage to Music without your earphones falling out again. Perfect for cross country training and large arenas, HelmetConnect has no restriction on range. Easily removed before competition and compatible with Android, iPhone and Apple Watch.
Also suitable for most cycling helmets, mountain climbing helmets, skateboarding, ice hockey and cricket helmets.
- HelmetConnect Uses
- HelmetConnect Features
- How to Wear HelmetConnect
- How to turn on HelmetConnect
- How to connect HelmetConnect to your phone/device
- How to answer a call using HelmetConnect
- How to hang up a call using HelmetConnect
- How to pause/play music using HelmetConnect
- How to skip to the next song on your playlist using HelmetConnect
- How to use Siri with HelmetConnect
- How to turn off HelmetConnect
- How to wash HelmetConnect
- Help and Support
1. HelmetConnect Uses
- Trainer to rider (2 way).
- Rider to rider (2 way).
- Cross country training – at speed with no range restrictions.
- Warm up training – easily removed before entering the competition arena/course.
- Dressage to music.
- Listen to music.
- Parent to child riding.
- Riding at speed – hear other riders without wind disturbance (in built wind muff).
- Racehorse/fitness training.
- Group riding – conference calls (polo, beach riding, etc).
- Ideal for solo riders – Siri compatibility allows hands free calling in the event of a fall.
- Listen to training apps.
- No more losing Air Pods while riding.
- Trainers can be hands free – simply connect their own phone to their own earphones/car. Perfect for building courses and doing jumps while teaching in large spaces.
2. HelmetConnect Features
- Inbuilt speaker and microphone.
- Compatible with Siri.
- Inbuilt 3d air mesh wind muff.
- Attaches to a 3-point harness.
- Designed for the left ear (can be worn on the right).
- Designed for one ear only to aid situational awareness.
- Magnetic poppers for easy removal.
- Outer control panel for easy volume control and call answering.
- Weather resistant.
- Lightweight (43gms).
- 12 month warranty.
- 8hr battery life.
- Recharges in 3hrs.
- Washable (remove battery from pouch before handwashing).
- Designed in UK by equestrians, for equestrians.
3. How to Wear HelmetConnect
Put HelmetConnect on your harness before putting your helmet on.
HelmetConnect is designed to be worn on the left ear, but can be worn on the right ear if needed. The curve of the device should sit in the curve of your helmet.
Ensure helmet chin strap is correctly done up (this will pull the device against your ear properly).
HelmetConnect should be a snug fit that pulls the device against your ear. It will fit onto thicker straps like so:
HelmetConnect should sit on the inside of your harness.
When fitted correctly, HelmetConnect should look like this:
4. How to turn on HelmetConnect
- Charge fully before first use, otherwise the Bluetooth may not correctly connect.
- Long press the ON/OFF button until you hear ‘POWER ON’.
5. How to connect HelmetConnect to your phone/device
- Turn the Bluetooth on your phone/device OFF.
- Switch HelmetConnect ON.
- Turn the Bluetooth on your phone/device ON.
- Select ‘Helmet Connect’ from the device list on your Bluetooth settings.
- You should then hear ‘CONNECTED’ on your HelmetConnect. This means you have connected your HelmetConnect successfully.
6. How to answer a call using HelmetConnect
There are three ways to answer a call using HelmetConnect:
- Short press the ‘ON/OFF’ button once on the HelmetConnect control panel.
- Answer using Siri voice command. See ‘How to use Siri with HelmetConnect’.
- Answer via your phone as normal. To ensure your call does not revert back to your headset but remains connected to HelmetConnect – press the ‘speaker’ icon on your phone after answering your call. Then select the ‘Bluetooth’ option – this will revert the audio back to the HelmetConnect device.
You can also called your last dialled number by short pressing the 'on/off' button three times. If this does not work, try pressing them a little fast or slower (the timing is about 1.5 seconds for all three presses).
7. How to hang up using HelmetConnect
There are three ways to hang up using HelmetConnect:
- Short press the ‘ON/OFF’ button once on the HelmetConnect control panel.
- Hang up using Siri voice command. See ‘How to use Siri with HelmetConnect’.
- Hang up using your phone.
8. How to play/pause music using HelmetConnect
You can play/pause music three ways with HelmetConnect. First you must select what music you would like to play using your phone handset or siri. Once you have done this you can:
- Short press the ‘ON/OFF’ button once on the HelmetConnect control panel to play/pause the music.
- Play/pause music using Siri voice command. See ‘How to use Siri with HelmetConnect’.
- Play/pause music using your phone.
9. How to skip to the next song on your playlist using HelmetConnect
- Press and hold the '+' button on the HelmetConnect control panel.
- Or you can skip to the next song manually on your phone.
10. How to use Siri with HelmetConnect
- For totally hands free riding, use Siri with your HelmetConnect.
- Go to ‘Settings’, ‘Siri and Search’ on your iPhone.
- Ensure your settings are set to the below:
- To use Siri with HelmetConnect, clearly say ‘Hey Siri’ and wait for the low tone before voicing your command. Please remember, Siri requires good internet connection to work.
- To answer a call using Siri, go to ‘Settings; Siri and Search; Announce Calls’ and select ‘Headphones Only’ or ‘Headphones and Car’.
- To hang up using Siri, go to ‘Settings; Siri and Search; Call Hang-up’ and slide to ‘on’.
11. How to turn off HelmetConnect
- Long press the ON/OFF button until you hear ‘POWER OFF’.
12. How to wash HelmetConnect
- Remove HelmetConnect from your harness.
- Remove the battery from the pouch.
- Make a note of which hole the wires are inserted into and remove the white plug from the battery.
- Once the battery has been removed, carefully wash the unit by hand and leave to air dry naturally. Do not use HelmetConnect again until the entire unit has completely dried. Ensure the magnetic poppers are thoroughly dry.
- Insert the wires back into the same hole.
- Reinsert the battery into the pouch, ensuring the buttons align with the control panel.
- Not for use on public highways.
- Do not attempt to use the device while charging.
- Do not wear a HelmetConnect on both ears at the same time to maintain situational awareness.
- Do not use HelmetConnect if your free ear is hard of hearing to ensure you maintain situational awareness.
- Wait until HelmetConnect has fully dried after washing before using.
- Please dispose of batteries safely and responsibly.
Q: Do I need to call someone for it to work?
Yes, the communication feature is not a radio but works through your phone or device via Bluetooth. The person you want to talk with needs to phone you, or you need to phone them. You can listen to music, podcasts, training apps, etc without the need to place a call.
Q: Can anyone call me?
Yes, so long as they have your telephone number or call you via WhatsApp. To answer, use voice command (if set up), answer via your phone or using by pressing the ‘ON/OFF’ button once.
Q: Can I hear the other person and can they hear me?
Yes! It is a 2 way system when you place a call to another person.
Q: Does it need reception to work?
To communicate you need phone reception or Wifi for internet calling such as WhatsApp or listen via any streaming apps. To play downloaded music, apps, etc you do not need internet connection or phone reception, so long as they are already downloaded on your phone/device.
Q: Does it need internet to work?
Only for streaming apps or calls via apps such as WhatsApp.
Q: Does my instructor have to hold their phone while they teach me?
No! They can either hold their phone; connect their phone to the Bluetooth in their car (and teach from the car), or they can teach handsfree if they connect their own phone to their own Air Pods or headphones. This is perfect for show jumping when setting up jumps etc.
Q: Can I wear it in competition?
No. It is easily removed before entering the arena/start box thanks to the convenient magnetic poppers.
Q: Can I wear it on the roads?
No. HelmetConnect is not for use on public highways.
Q: Will I land on it in a fall?
HelmetConnect sits tucked in against the ear on the inside of the helmet and does not protrude outwards. If you were to fall on your ear then HelmetConnect will receive impact before your ear.
Q: Can I call someone using WhatsApp on HelmetConnect?
Yes! You will just need an internet connection (either mobile data or Wifi).
Q: How do I make a group call?
You can use HelmetConnect to make a group call using an app such as WhatsApp from your phone. This is perfect for group riding scenarios such as leisure riding, exercising racehorses, training with a polo team, etc.
My HelmetConnect is too quiet?
- Many phones have a volume restriction to protect aural health of the wearer and to aid situational awareness.
- Use the volume buttons on the control panels or the volume control on your phone/device to adjust the volume.
- Ensure your harness is correctly done up. A harness that is too loose will not bring the HelmetConnect device close enough to your ear, nor be safe to wear as a helmet.
- If it is still too quiet, ensure your Headphone Safety feature is disabled. To do this on iPhone go to: Settings; Sounds & Haptics; Headphone Safety; then ensure 'Reduce loud sounds' is unchecked.
- Disable 'Absolute Volume'.
I can’t hear anything?
- Ensure your HelmetConnect is turned on as above in ‘How to turn on HelmetConnect’
- Ensure your HelmetConnect is connected to your phone via Bluetooth as above in ‘How to connect HelmetConnect to your phone/device’
- Test the speaker by playing some music through an app on your phone.
- Test the connection by making a call. If the call keeps cutting out, please ensure you have fully charged the device. The Bluetooth connection can fail if the device is not properly charged upon first use.
- Try removing the battery pack from the pouch. Remove the cable from its white socket (as explained in 'How to wash your HelmetConnect'. Replace it into the other white socket and try again.
- Your Bluetooth may need re-syncing. Try disconnecting from your Bluetooth, forgetting the device and reconnecting.
Bluetooth isn’t working
- Ensure device is fully charged before first use.
- Follow Bluetooth instructions as above in ‘How to connect HelmetConnect to your phone/device’.
It keeps disconnecting when I answer a call.
- If you are answering the call via your phone, press on the ‘speaker’ icon, then select the ‘Bluetooth’ icon. This should reconnect your phone to HelmetConnect for your call. If you answer a call by pressing the ‘ON/OFF’ button on the HelmetConnect control panel, it will automatically remain connected to your phone when you answer a call.
I can’t find the ‘ON/OFF’ button when I’m wearing HelmetConnect
- This can often take a little time to become familiar with where the buttons are. You can still have full function of HelmetConnect by either using your phone directly or Siri if you continue to struggle.
HelmetConnect keeps connecting to the wrong phone/device
- HelmetConnect will only connect to a device it has been manually connected to via Bluetooth previously.
- Temporarily disable the other phone/device connection by turning off your Bluetooth on the unwanted phone/device.
- Permanently forget the other phone/device connection by going into your Bluetooth settings on the unwanted phone/device. Select the ‘info’ button beside ‘HelmetConnect’, then select ‘forget device’. If you wish to reconnect to this device in the future, follow the Bluetooth set up instructions – ‘How to connect HelmetConnect to your phone/device’ above again.
16. Help and Support
Please contact the retailer you purchased your HelmetConnect from if the above information has not been helpful. You will need your receipt for any warranty claims.
If you purchased your HelmetConnect from Finer Equine, please send the following information to:
- Contact name
- Finer Equine order number
- Details of your issue
HelmetConnect is a Trade Mark.
HelmetConnect is an IPO protected design.
Finer Equine is a member of ACID (Anti Copying In Design)